Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sampled Book 5: Star Wars: Beware the Power of the Dark Side

Star Wars: Beware the Power of the Dark Side, by Tom Angleberger

One rarely reads a book written in first person plural. There's good reasons for that. It's awful to read.

As I read this excerpt I realized I hadn't complained about the snarky tone of all the books in this sampler, so I'm doing it now. I didn't like it. The story should be straight forward. Individual characters can be snarky, but not the narration. Han Solo was cool because he stood out from the pack. If everyone's a wise ass the one who stands out is the serious guy.

This book did have less exposition than the other books, but I hated the annoying footnotes on C3PO.

I repeat, show your kids the movies and give them the same joy of discovery that you had when you first watched them.

No comments:

Post a Comment