Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Possessed and Obsessed-Celebrating Supernatural Day!

We here at GHPALS have never made a secret of being part of Supernatural fandom. Our scribe has purchased a silver ticket for Celebration's con in Burbank in November and we're all envious.

Today is a special day for the Obsessed and Possessed fans of this special show. Hot Topic even sells a T-shirt to help us celebrate. Check out the design----->

Today is the 12th anniversary of Supernatural's premiere on September 13, 2004. Several of us watched that first show. Here are some of our memories:

  • My daughter was 13 and we watched the show together. She was a big fan of Hercules, Xena, The X-Files and The Lone Gunmen. She subscribed to the Supernatural magazine and kept all the issues. She bought the season dvd sets as soon as they became available, and was so distraught when one of her friends didn't return Season Two she bought another copy. The friend finally returned it and she kept both sets. By the time she left for college she'd lost interest, but I remain Possessed and Obsessed.
  • Supernatural is the wonderful show it is because it mixes humor with horror. It is never ponderous or unleavened (that's a word I use for shows that never lighten up). For the last two weeks I've been rewatching Battlestar Gallactica with my daughter and it is just so deadly serious all the time–I can hardly stand it. Supernatural's cast, crew and writers all understand they are creating entertainment, and that's what we get. That's why the show will have fans forever, like Star Trek, Star Wars and Dr. Who.
  • I first learned about Supernatural when I sat through a panel at Comic-Con. I was there because I wanted to be sure I had a seat for the panel that came afterwards. Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki seemed like such nice guys and the clips made the show sound so interesting I rented the dvds. I've been watching it ever since.
  • How can you not love a show where two hot guys keep us all safe from the things that go bump in the night? I certainly sleep better at night knowing they're out there.
  • I love the show and I love the fan fiction people write. My favorite author is K. Hanna Korosy and my favorite story is currently The Polyglot because I think it perfectly captures the characters of Sam and Dean. 
  • I love the show because there are so many wonderful lines. Everyone remembers the funny ones, like "I lost my shoe," but there are lines that you can pattern your life around, like these:
    • You don't have to be ruled by fate. You can choose freedom.
    • You always have a choice.
    • We'll figure it out. We always do.
    • It doesn't matter what you are. It only matters what you do.
  • My favorite show of all time is the Supernatural episode The French Mistake. It is the finest example of meta in television, yet it wasn't nominated for any awards. I have nothing but contempt for the Emmys because they overlook shows like this one. 
  • I've watched the entire series many times. I always rewatch it during tax season as it makes doing my return seem trivial instead of onerous. I don't watch Season One on Netflix though, because the music is different. Something about not having digital rights or something. I know lots of people come to Supernatural through Netflix, and I feel sorry for them because they don't see the show in it's true form.
We're all looking forward to October 13 and the first show of Season 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment