Saturday, October 1, 2016

Banned Book Week Day 6: Which banned book character would you want to have lunch with?

In honor of Banned Books Week (September 26 through October 1, 2016), GHPALS members are reporting their answers to five prompts suggested by the Banned Book Week coalition. (See our post Banned Books Week.)

Today the prompt is Which banned book character would you want to have lunch with?

Our members' answers:
  • Tom Sawyer. I have always wanted to be that clever.
  • Long John Silver Think of the stories he has to tell. He could even cook the meal. Oh, Treasure Island was never banned? Why should that disqualify him?
  • Mr. Darcy, but only if he were single. I bet I could steal him away from Elizabeth. Surely Pride and Prejudice was banned somewhere.
  • Atticus Finch so I could find out if he was really the man portrayed in To Kill a Mockingbird or the guy portrayed in Go Set a Watchman, a book I personally choose to ignore.
  • Holden Caulfield so I could punch that snotty brat in the nose. I had to read that book in high school because my English teacher and every other English teacher in this country loves that godawful book. I'd rather have read a real classic.
  • I looked over the 2015 list and there isn't anyone I'd want to meet, much less dine with. Instead of trying to ban books for their content, why don't people try to ban them because they're crap?
  • Professor Snape He's the most interesting character in the Harry Potter books. If not him, then Luna Lovegood. She's cool.
  • Uncle Scrooge And before you get snotty, comic books ARE BOOKS. And they were banned in some places, thanks to some wacko psychiatrists. Me, I'm grateful to them because MAD Magazine came out of it all. My favorite Disney character was never threatened. How can you not want to dine with the Richest Duck in the World, who's "tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties."
  • Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. I was surprised to find A Study in Scarlet on one of the lists, but someone complained about its depiction of Mormonism. Wouldn't everyone like to talk to these two men? 
  • Tarzan of the Apes. Surely someone somewhere has banned the Tarzan books because of their treatment of Africans or Apes, or violence or something or other. He's the guy I want to meet, though he'd probably eat his meat raw while I waited for mine to cook.
  • Hanibal Lector because he's such a good cook. 
We came up with a final prompt to stimulate discussion during Banned Books Week. Tomorrow we'll post the answer to Did anyone ever censor your reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment