Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book 31: Touched by an Alien

Title and Author: Touched by an Alien, by Gini Koch

Illustrator: none
Publisher: DAW Books, distributed by Penguin Group
Published: 2010
Genre: Science fiction
Target Audience/Age Group: Adult
Part of a Series? Yes
Will the Reviewer Keep It In His/Her Library? No
First line: What gets me is that in all the comic books and movies and even novels, whenever someone gets superpowers there's at least an eighty percent likelihood they'll use said powers for good.

This is the first book in a series. I was attracted to it by the first line on the back cover: "It was just another day in Arizona–and then the monster showed up." I was halfway through it, laughing a lot and thinking it was pretty good, when the heroine jumped into bed with a guy she’d met mere hours before and the book was ruined for me. Until that point I'd liked Katherine Katt, even though everything that was happening around her was ludicrously, ridiculously absurd (part of the book's fun). 
I'm not a prude but the sex was completely unnecessary and totally disrupted a story that was marching right along charmingly. The pace never recovered and I stopped reading it a couple chapters later. I did read the last couple of chapters, but they didn't pull me back into the book. Too bad because I thought I’d found another series that would keep me amused. I can't wait to get book 13 of Kim Harrison's Hallows series.

No comments:

Post a Comment