Monday, October 22, 2012

Ted Washington and Puna Press

You meet creative people in the oddest places. We met one at Cabrillo National Monument. In the gift shop, of all places.

It was the Monday after Comic-Con, and we visited the monument before we left town. While the kids walked to the lighthouse, I bought post cards. Naturally I visited with the man who rang me up. It came out that we'd been at the Con, and so had he. He had a table in Artists Alley. He showed me some of his work and I was impressed. I was sorry I'd missed him all those times I'd walked down those aisles.

He gave me a bookmark instead of a business card. Bookmarks are a wonderful way to publicize oneself, as I found with Jason Andrew Bond and his book "Hammerhead." I know I look at Mr. Washington's drawing whenever I use it, and it keeps him in my mind. I'd resolved to write about him on this blog, but never remembered when I was near the computer. But today I finished my book and brought the bookmark down with me to scan it.

Every time I look at the drawing I see something different. An eye looks out of his bookmark, a detail from his drawing Mary. But there's so much more than just an eye. Sometimes I see a woman with her arms folded. Sometimes I see a baby swaddled in a blanket. Other times I see a basket floating on a calm ocean, far from the city lights in the background.

Ted Washington uses pen & ink to produce lovely images. The back of the bookmark lists his accomplishments:

1st place, 12th annual art competition, Veridian Gallery, New York City (Anne Lampe, Whitney Museum of American Art, juror)

Best in Show, Most Promising New Artist, 20th La Quinta Arts Festival

Featured artist, Competition Spotlight, The Artist's Magazine

Artist of the New Millenium, Strathmore Artist Products

There's an interesting interview with him at Ted Washington in the Union-Tribune San Diego.

His page on punapress.com shows his latest book. The cover features a black lab, and he captures the shine on a dog's fur perfectly. I'd want this one for a pet.

I'll certainly look for him next year in Artist's Alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment