Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Hammerhead," A Review

We promised a review of "Hammerhead," by Jason Andrew Bond, after we blogged about his very creative marketing campaign. He had friends pass out signed bookmarks at Comic-Con. The book is available in print and digital formats through Amazon.

I liked it. A lot. The bookmark had a link to a sampler, and it sucked me in. I really wanted to know why someone was trying to kill a ship breaker. Jeoffrey Holt works at a reverse shipyard in the Nevada desert. We've all seen pictures of those people on the coast in Bangladesh who break apart huge ships for scrap. Well, that's what Holt does. Except the wrecks he strips aren't the hulks of seagoing ships, but space-going ones. Sky ships.

And on his way to work one day, he's almost killed. And not by accident. But it turns out he isn't just any old ship breaker. He has skills he has not used in many years, but which one never really loses. They just get rusty.

As he tries to figure out who exactly is out to get him, and why they didn't just leave him alone, he finds out it really is about more than him. And the trail he follows is interesting and kept me reading it long after my husband had fallen asleep. That does not happen very often.

I look forward to reading more by this author, and he has just published a new book, "Mortal Remains." My copy was just delivered and I'm going to read it as soon as I finish "Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture, by Rob Salkowitz.

No comments:

Post a Comment